2007-03-30

WEB AGGREGATORS


Photo from flickr

You might be wondering why I chose this picture for introducing our e-tivity of the week. As I have already told you I am not very good with computers but when I am given the task of exploring new tools I get curious about them and start playing around - the way children do! I love to be astonished by new things because you never really stop learning. That's why I sometimes go into trouble... Some days ago I modified a word on the post I had already published and when I checked it your comments where no longer there, even though on 'my hidden page' I can see that you left 8 comments but I cannot get them back. I looked for FAQs about blogs on del.icio.us. but my search was not successful up to now. Maybe you can help me but I fear I lost them :(


So you might understand why I hope that web aggregators, such as bloglines, are going to be the last tool we are exploring. An aggregator allows you to monitor all feeds you saved and check their updates instead of opening every single site. This means that you are going to spare huge amounts of time especially if you need to check often for updates, e.g. because you are monitoring markets, checking student's homework, your friend's blogs and so on. What I did was adding all classmates to my feeds and create my playlist. Now I am using it in the course but being the tool userfriendly I will use it for personal purposes too. Moreover, it is up to you to decide if you want the software installed on your computer or not. I think that online versions are really good because you can look for updates from every computer and spare memory on your pc, which is very important to me because my computer is not powerful at all! All I said is possible due to RSS (Really Simple Syndacation), which is the format used by web aggregators, that allows you to check frequently updated content such as blogs, podcasts and news feeds. (That's why it appeared at the bottom of the blog!)

Hope to hearing from you soon!
alexandra

7 comments:

Alida said...

Dear Alexandra!
I like the explanation you wrote about the agrregatores. Moreovere the introduction you made was even better,especially thanks to that photo!
Good job!
Hughs
Ali

Erica Buzz said...

Dear Alexandra,
when you say that sometimes, when using new tools, you go into trouble, I understand you. However I think this is very normal, especially when we are not so used to use computers as well as this sort of technologies. Very often I go into troubles not because I'm not able to use these new programs Sarah invites us to use but because of the lack either of adsl or of a powerful and very efficient computer (I've got a new computer but in some cases I have many difficulties do to the telephone lines, I don't know if it is the same for you...).
Erica

alex said...

Dear Erica,
adsl is no longer a problem because in January I signed a contract for this plan - interruptions and data loss were driving me crazy! Moreover, I can work on my paper and e-tivities from home because at university classes are usually overcrowded and you are not allowed to stay long...
cheers alexandra

alex said...

Hi Ali!
I wanted to capture curiosity and be clear enough in my explanation...
It worked :)))
kiss
alexandra

Her Royal Highness Susanne said...

Hi Alexandra,

like Alida, I liked your picture and the introduction. Don`t worry too much about your computer skills and remember that you are not alone with your problems (I think we all have quite the same;-))!!! So if you need help, just let me know and we'll see if two heads are really better than one:-)!!!
See you soon,
Susanne

Viola said...

Dear Alex,
I totally understand you!There are so many new technologies every day and it's difficult to keep up with them!Especially if you're a total failure on that topic as I am!Anyway, the explanation was good and the idea of the picture was really awesome!Love,
Viola

Elena said...

Hi Alex!
I think I'll use all these new tool for my personal purposes as well in the futurebecause I find them extremely useful. At first it's hard to get used to new things, but then everything comes naturally and I'm really glad we're learning so much because we'll save time in the future!!!!
see you soon,
Elena