2007-05-14

PLE - Personal Learning Environment


Photo from flickr

PLE - Personal Learning Environment
When I heard this acronym I did not know its meaning nor its usefulness. But soon I realized that it meant once more to sit down and reflect; this time on on my learning habits, both formal and informal. I never realized that my way of learning covers so a wide range of sources - I actually learn from many online tools (Wikipedia, online newsapapers, sites of music, youtube) that are much more easy to handle and faster to respond my requests. The map I developed with a software called FreeMind (it seemed more difficult to use than it actually was :)!) summarizes my actual way of learning; even though, I think that it will soon need to be updated because things are changing so fast recently! I divided it into six main groups - tools, physical space, reflection, people, travelling and formal learning - and then added pieces of information to each one. And the more I thought about it the more I added. It was amazing!
On the whole, learning is a lifelong process because you never really stop acquiring and the way I prefer is listening to music, watching movies and interacting with people, rather than spending a lot of time on books trying to widen my knowledge.

6 comments:

Alida said...

Wow! Alex!your PLE is wonderful and the fact that you were able to put a link on your blog was extremely nice. I do agree with your ideas of updating it in a little time because in a few months we'll be trying to start a brand new life, meet new people and therefore find new ways of learning.
I'm looking forward to experiencing it and I know you fell the same too.

Lots of kisses and have a nice week end
Alida

alex said...

Hi Ali!

I am so proud of my map :)
you are right but I must say that I am a little afraid of what will be "out there"...

have a nice week-end too!
kiss
alex

avalonne83 said...

Hi Alex,

thank you for sharing your mind map! I used FreeMind, too, but I had some problems while uploading my map...

I do agree with you and Alida: we should update our PLE soon, because our lives are changing really very fast...

Cheers,
tina

Erica Buzz said...

Alexandra!

I think we're all a bit afraid of what will be out there. In a few weeks the courses will be over, maybe by the end of the year we will graduate and then we'll have to find a job...Our life is just at its beginning, I think...

Hope everybody will find what he/she's looking for.

See you in class,
Erica

Elena said...

I'm happy to see that each of us is a bit worried..we are at a turning point and we don't know what's around the corner.

Surely we have to take advantage of everything we have learnt so far and keep reflecting and adding tools, strategies, people and so on..

Elena

Her Royal Highness Susanne said...

Hi Alex,

you did a great job!! I like your mindmap and your post and like you I think that learning is a lifelong process and that we all will soon have soon to make changes on our PLE because as you say, things are changing so fast recently. :-) I hope we are able to keep up with all the new technologies and changes...:-))
See you tomorrow,
Susanne